   Re: FW: Processing large XML document

  • From: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>
  • To: MarkH@i2.co.uk
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:08:05 -0500 (EST)

> > From:	sailu@it.iitb.ernet.in [SMTP:sailu@it.iitb.ernet.in]
> > I need to process a large XML document which may not fit in the
> > memory at a time. Is there any software that lets me retain some
> > parts of the DOM representation of the document and purge the
> > remaining part of it. All this should be efficient in terms of both
> > memory and time.

I guess that's what XML::Twig (http://www.xmltwig.cx) was designed for.

XML::Twig is a Perl module that allows you to process sub-documents, one
at a time, building a tree for each one, then discarding it when you are
done with it. You can also define elements for which you want the tree
built (you just define the root of the sub-trees, you cannot build a
"view" of the document, although that could be an interesting
enhancement).

The interface is not DOM though, it is more perlish.

Michel Rodriguez
Perl & XML
http://www.xmltwig.com