   the Web reaches 10

  • From: Bob Stayton <bobs@sco.COM>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:02:19 -0800 (PST)

According to Tim Berners-Lee's book Weaving the Web, it was
November-December 1990 that he got the World Wide Web
working at CERN.  That was when he finished working
versions of the three key protocols HTML, HTTP, and URLs,
had installed a server connected to the Internet, and
had installed browsers on more than one machine (his and Robert
Cailliau's NeXT machines).  He said by Christmas Day 1990
it was all working, appropriately serving up all of his
documentation on WWW.  That means the World Wide Web is ten years old
now.  I think we should all tip our virtual hats to Tim for
giving us such a fun thing to play with.

In an interesting side note, his first child was born a
few days later.  Me, I'd say she was his second child. 8)

Bob
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com