   Odd Problem with Servlet and XML

  • From: Bendik Vedeler <bendikv@online.no>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 14:40:48 +0100

I have a DOM-Document that I wish to transform to HTML and display to a
browser using a Servlet.
I tried it out on a regular Java-class first, and everything worked out
fine. When I tried to implement it in a Servlet i get an odd
error-message though:
  XSL Error: Cannot use a DTMLiaison for a input DOM node... pass a
org.apache.xalan.xpath.xdom.XercesLiaison instead!

So, I figured that I'd tell my XSLTProcessor to use the XercesLiaison,
at which point I got an error-message stating:
  XercesLiaison can not handle nodes of the type class
com.sun.xml.tree.XmlDocument

This seems strange for two reasons. Why should it work perfectly well in
a regular Java-class, but not in a Servlet? (The java-class was compiled
by the same user as the web-server runs as, with no problems). And why
does it talk of a com.sun.xml.tree.XmlDocument when I have no imports
from sun in either Class?

For information, the web-server is running Apache, with a standalone
Tomcat for servlets. JDK 2.x JSDK 1.2.2. Linux. Xalan and Xerces used
for XML/XSL parsing/processing.

Help would be very appreciated.

Bendik Vedeler