   Re: W3C XML Schema best practice : inclusions

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <eve.maler@east.sun.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 17:50:45 -0500

Sorry to contribute only now that the thread has gone a bit stale, but...

Please be very careful.  XLink's show="embed" semantic has nothing to do
with actual inclusion (where inclusion means something like "macro
substitution" or "entity resolution").  Embedding has to do with merging
the *rendering* of a link's ending resource into the starting resource,
much as HTML's IMG element blends a "remote" graphic with a "local"
document for display.

I would say that the show attribute is one of the things that makes XLink
uniquely about hyperlinking, as opposed to a generic association mechanism
such as RDF or topic maps, so I believe it makes eminent sense for that
attribute to be in the XLink namespace.

         Eve

--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com