   Re: RFC for hostnames?

  • From: "Christopher K. St. John" <cstjohn@quik.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:48:24 -0600

ricko wrote:

> In any case, this area may be a little up in the air at the moment, because
> Asian companies started selling CJK domain names before any RFCs had been
> finalized to know how to implement them.

 For the Network Solutions side of things there is
some documentation available at:

 <URL:http://verisign-grs.com/multilingual/multilingual.html>

 as well as:

 rfc2825 "A Tangled Web: Issues of I18N, Domain Names,
          and the Other Internet protocols"

 As Rick mentioned, the rfc doesn't have Internet
Standard status, but it makes interesting reading.
And of course the PRC has decided to go with its
own (incompatible?) system.

 I don't have any technical references to the
Chinese take on things, does anyone else have a
URL?

> So practise precedes standards, sadly.

 The other way round sometimes doesn't work out
so well, either :-)

-cks