   Re: RFC for hostnames?

  • From: Chris Olds <cco@dydax.com>
  • To: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:43:51 -0800

3Com never had a host with a name in the actual hostnames table, so it didn't
need to comply with the rules for hostnames.

When I first tried to register "3Com.com", I was told that the name was
illegal and would not be registered.  Since all I wanted was to register a
domain name so we could have an MX record, I pointed out that a) 3Com would
not, and never expected to have an entry in hostnames.txt (I think that was
the filename, right?), b) the reference to the hostname BNF production was a
SHOULD not a MUST, and the given name BNF was not normative for domain name
parts, and c) our DNS provider (who that was, I cannot recall, sorry) had
already agreed to allow us to use 3Com.com if the hostmaster would allow it.
I may have this correspondence somewhere (although it may be on magtape); it
may be worth finding, since this is the second time this has come up this
year.

    /cco
--
``I know you believe you understand what you
think I said, but I am not sure you realize that