   Re: XLink embedding (was Re: W3C XML Schema best practice : inclusions)

  • From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:22:22 -0600

At 14:04 2000 12 12 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>At 04:56 PM 12/12/00 +0000, Edd Dumbill wrote:
>>This discussion puts me in mind of a couple of questions I've had for a
>>while on this.  Here are some things I'd like to say about the target
>>resource to be embedded:
>>
>> * style it with this XSLT/CSS sheet
>> * confirm its signature matches this one <<insert-sig-here>>
>>
>>Are there any standard ways of expressing this kind of thing yet?  If
>>not, do we need one?

>I'm also wondering what it might mean to activate a link to content which
>has already been embedded in a document and how applications should/might
>handle that situation.

If by "embedded" in the previous sentence, you are talking about
the XLink show="embed" (which is what Eve was discussing), then
there is no XLink-comprehensible meaning to the phrase "link to
content which is embedded" because, as Eve explained, XLink embedding
is a presentation issue, so there is no "embedded content" to which
to link.

If you are really talking about "embedding content", such as one
might do with XInclude or some other method, that's fine (and an
interesting issue), but then please change the subject so that
we don't propagate an unfortunate misunderstanding about what
XLink embedding is all about.

paul