   Re: XLink embedding (was Re: W3C XML Schema best practice : inclusions)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:56:33 -0500

At 01:22 PM 12/12/00 -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:
>At 14:04 2000 12 12 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>>I'm also wondering what it might mean to activate a link to content which
>>has already been embedded in a document and how applications should/might
>>handle that situation.
>
>If by "embedded" in the previous sentence, you are talking about
>the XLink show="embed" (which is what Eve was discussing), then
>there is no XLink-comprehensible meaning to the phrase "link to
>content which is embedded" because, as Eve explained, XLink embedding
>is a presentation issue, so there is no "embedded content" to which
>to link.

It is a presentation issue, yes, but I still feel that there may be cases
(fringe cases, certainly!) where an application might rather move the
display to an already-embedded/displayed portion of content referenced by a
URI rather than presenting the content yet again.

I don't consider this a showstopper, however, just a consequence of
allowing other or no value (thanks to #IMPLIED) into the show attribute.
Interesting, but hardly a large problem.

>If you are really talking about "embedding content", such as one
>might do with XInclude or some other method, that's fine (and an
>interesting issue), but then please change the subject so that
>we don't propagate an unfortunate misunderstanding about what
>XLink embedding is all about.

That is not what I'm referring to at all.  There may well be a
misunderstanding, but XInclude-style embeds are not the subject of my message.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML