   RE: XLink embedding (was Re: W3C XML Schema best practice : inclusions)

  • From: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: eve.maler@East.Sun.COM, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:16:21 -0500

Hi

>At 04:56 PM 12/12/00 +0000, Edd Dumbill wrote:
>>This discussion puts me in mind of a couple of questions I've had for a
>>while on this.  Here are some things I'd like to say about the target
>>resource to be embedded:
>>
>> * style it with this XSLT/CSS sheet
>> * confirm its signature matches this one <<insert-sig-here>>
>>
>>Are there any standard ways of expressing this kind of thing yet?  If
>>not, do we need one?

In fact, links and inclusion are strange beast. We have experimented a lot
with the Xinclude and the xlink constructs and found certain limitations
like:

caching: it is very rare that document providers set the caching property in
the right manner. It is a lot useful to be able to override a cache
document's time to live.
styling: If a document contains more than one fragment to include, to be
able to process each fragment before any inclusion can accelerate the
overall processing if we can perform the transformations and the inclusions
in parallel.
device-profiling: to be able to include XML fragments for certain kind of
devices but not for others - kind of conditional inclusion
user-profiling: to be able to include XML fragments for certain users and
not for others - an other kind of conditional inclusion
to override or include certain attributes: if an included fragment is to be
referred by other parts of the document then it is useful that, for
instance, the id attribute can be overridden so that the links work. The id
that this root element contains may not be the right one.

These are the few we discovered and I am sure they are other limitations.

cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: xml devcon 2000 (http://www.xmldevcon2000.com)