   RE: XLink embedding (was Re: W3C XML Schema best practice : inclusions)

  • From: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
  • To: martind@netfolder.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:27:45 -0700 (MST)

> Uche said:
> Is this realistic to expect?  It's certainly hard to imagine this scenario
> with XSLT stylesheets, since XSLT processing tends to be highy non-linear.
> It's certainly possible with CSS, but are the saving worth the processing
> complexity in the user agent?
>
> Didier replies:
> Wrong, it is possible with XSLT - I did it in my labs, and it is working
> very well.

Ah.  But I didn't say it was impossible, just impractical.  I wonder about
the XSLT code and processor you're using.  Suppose your super incremental
parallel includer/transformer (SIPIT) has received half of the included
fragment, and meanwhile your XSLT processor is positioned at this template:

<xsl:template match="eggs">
  [...]
</xslt:template>

How does it deal with the fact that it cannot complete the node-set
that matches the pattern?

Does your processor use something like DOM's live node lists, where it can
begin instantiating the template for the first few nodes in the set,
and hopefully the other nodes are dynamically added as the inclusion half
of SIPIT proceeds?  I'm guessing processing would block until the end of
the node-set is inicated, in which case you face _very_ poor parallel
processing performance.  Even if your processor can do this much, you have
a _very_ nifty processor, and I'd like to know where you cache the source
code so I can steal it.

If not, I'm guessing you can't handle the above very simple, very
common use-case correctly.

> lot of actual XML processing will have some problems with parallel
> processing, but this is an implementation issue not an XSLT language issue.

Hmm.  This leads me to believe we have a miscommunication.  You seemed to
be saying that I was wrong about the impracticality because you have a
processor in your labs that can do the parallel  inclusion/transforming.
So do you or do you not have a SIPIT.  And if you do, can I have some
stock in your company?

> displayed as a table (month view), as a list (day view). Also, when we think
> inclusion/transformation, we also have to think about partitioning, can we
> partition the processes on the requester or on the provider?  Transformation
> may be partitioned on the basis of different parameters like the business
> model, processing capabilities, etc..

Interesting though.  My turn to go impractical, but it would be
interesting if there were a Linda-like model where depending on load and
capability, the transforms could be scheduled on whatever resource was
best.  Perhaps the server, perhaps the requestor.  Perhaps even some
tertium quid.

"Hey, quit transforming your XML doc with _my_ CPU cycles"

As Paul Prescod might note, I'd better patent the idea before Ray Ozzie
gets hold of it.