   Re: Didier's lab report

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Xml-Dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:30:10 -0500

At 08:59 AM 12/13/00 -0700, uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:
>Where this is impractical, I agree that as Edd suggested, some sort of
>annotation on the original element is desirable so that the user agent can
>at least process the stylesheet on the included content without having to
>scope the transform over the whole origina document.  However, I still
>don't see wht this can't be handled by an extension mechanism.  We can all
>agree on a namespace and vocab here on XML-DEV and not have to wait for
>the W3C to step in.
>
><MyOriginElement xinclude:href="http://spam.com/doc.xml"
>incstyle:href="http://spam.com/foo.xslt" incstyle:param="myvar='hello
>world'" xmlns:incstyle="http://includestyling.xml.org/2000"/>
>
>See, I even threw in overridden XSLT global parameters as a bonus.
>
>Verbose, yeah, but what do you expect?  It's XML.

I wonder if maybe there'd be a way to establish this a little more solidly
as a means of providing metadata about links and inclusions.  XLink already
provides some metadata, but I suspect we're going to find more places where
extra information about a link might be useful, and where they might be
useful across multiple applications.

The stylesheet example here is a good one.  Edd also noted digital
signatures, and I suspect there may be more lurking out there as eventual
possibilities.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML