   RE: Didier's lab report

  • From: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:05:29 -0500

Hi Uche,

Uche said:
Where this is impractical, I agree that as Edd suggested, some sort of
annotation on the origina element is desirable so that the user agent can
at least process the stylesheet on the included content without having to
scope the transform over the whole origina document.  However, I still
don't see wht this can't be handled by an extension mechanism.  We can all
agree on a namespace and vocab here on XML-DEV and not have to wait for
the W3C to step in.

<MyOriginElement xinclude:href="http://spam.com/doc.xml"
incstyle:href="http://spam.com/foo.xslt" incstyle:param="myvar='hello
world'" xmlns:incstyle="http://includestyling.xml.org/2000"/>

See, I even threw in overridden XSLT global parameters as a bonus.

Verbose, yeah, but what do you expect?  It's XML.

Didier replies:
Yes Indeed Edd Dumbill brought a very good point and this is why I published
this Didier's lab report. Your solution sounds like a way to resolve the
issue. Next month, I'll publish concrete results of solutions we developed
in the labs. We found that the whole aggregation area is very fuzzy. That in
some ways, it is a threat to certain business models. Let's say, for a
moment that I develop a stylesheet to include contents form the web but
without any advertising. You can imagine the impacts... But at the same time
the inclusion and linking technologies bring tremendous advantages. I just
hope that the 20th century web won't stop the 21st century web to evolve ;-)

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: xml devcon 2000 (http://www.xmldevcon2000.com)