   RE: Real XML Site

  • From: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, "Hodder, Ed" <Ed.Hodder@Bowne.com>,'Ben Sarsgard' <BSarsgard@Versient.com>,"XML-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:39:01 -0500

Hi Tim,

Tim said:
Probably Dynabase, just like infoworld.com; it's the only product
I know of that serves HTML pages with the .xml extension (a practice
that seems more than a little weird to me). -T

Didier replies:
Hoops we also do that ;-). What would you do otherwise because the source
document required is an xml document. The advantage is that the URL is still
the same and is independant of the user agent requesting the document. In
fact, the server recognizes that the user agent cannot process the xml
document locally because it does not support XSLT. Then the server decides
to do the process on the server side. Consider that XSLT processing is a
partitioned process that can occur on the server or the client side. This
all depends on the client capabilites.

 This year, we will probably see the first wave of XSLT 1.0 compliant
browsers. In that case, the server recognizing that the user agent do
support XSLT 1.0 may decide to partition the transformation process on the
client side. As you see, this is a very good distributed processing
practice. Yes, we are really talking here about distributed computing an
process partitionning. I think that the behavior showned by dynabase and
other processors like ours (I think Matt's processor is also doing that)
will increase as the diversity of rendering languages increases and also as
the demand for content customization increases.

cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: xml devcon 2000 (http://www.xmldevcon2000.com)