   RE: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:00:25 -0600

Thanks for the slides.  A great review tool!

Another related question to substitution groups is,
what good are abstract element types in XML Schemas?

They are used in X3D extensively to define
non-instantiable node types thus enabling
X3D to keep its abstract node type definitions
from VRML.  Since the original VRML was based
on an object model expressed in the syntax,
it is useful to keep that in the schema for
completeness over the more awkward parameter
entities which are a poor means to express
abstract groups.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com