   RE: Extreme Programming goes mainstream?

  • From: Bill dehOra <BdehOra@interx.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:11:19 +0000

>> Tim Bray said:
Just another data point; XP contains some ideas that seem
truly great, but I'm not convinced that you need to buy into
the whole package.  Like most people, we haven't bought into
pair programming - pair debugging, sure.

XP doesn't separate debugging from programming, so the idea of single
programming and pair debugging doesn't make sense. Ideally you'll be coding
tests first, so it's natural to pair all the time. Pair programming does
seem to be the strongest point of resistance developers have to XP: it's
well outside most coders' comfort zone. The point of doing it is that
quality code gets written with less agony in less time and it is known to
work to that end. XP is an ideal as much as anything: how close you want to
get to that ideal is up to you.

-Bill de hÓra