   RE: Extreme Programming goes mainstream?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Philippe Lourier <pl@technetcast.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:00:07 -0600

Which sounds good on paper but is a stone cold
nasty problem in a contract driven system of
testable deliverables over services.  The adaptive
approach works well at Burger King where all the
positions are interchangeable and the components
are tested, tasty, and available.  Software engineering
when coupled to product delivery is not easy to
do as a service model.

The problem is when the system is complex, highly
customized, and costs are recovered in accordance
with a delivery/test acceptance schedule.  Enabling
constant adaptation means you must have very precise
contract models for who gets to request and adaptation.
Failing to recognize gold-plating, rice bowl requirements,
extensions based on lack of up-front analysis, and
so on can quickly put you out of business.

Its about recognition of patterns and picking the
right template.  Adaptation is a pattern recognition
problem with feedback-based controls.
Can you create a root pattern that works
just as well for the business model as it does
for the engineering problem?   The success of SOAP,
UDDI, etc. will rise or fall on the means by which
discovery and recognition of a service can be
followed by negotiation for terms and conditions
that satisfy a requirement.  Otherwise, you just
don't get paid.

The recent American election is revelatory of the
issues of small noisy systems that contribute to a
binary decision which results in a tie.  Don't look
at the politics; look at the pattern recognition
and how lack of robust standard templates makes
for a messy outcome.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com