   RE: Extreme Programming goes mainstream?

  • From: Philippe Lourier <pl@technetcast.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:46:41 -0500

One of the basic characteristics of XP is that it advocates
an adaptive approach to engineering software
rather than a predictive one.   It recognizes that
up-front analysis is often speculative.  Requirements
change.  And so it has a built-in "error correction"
mechanism.

But what is interesting is that this
unpredictability extends to software that has already
been released.  In a truly adaptive model you should be
able to selectively upgrade parts of a system after it is
in production.  This is where traditional languages like C++
break.  There is no class evolution in C++.  To evolve a
class in C++ you need to recompile/link an entire system.
This is one problem component object systems were
trying to solve.

The iterative approach taken to the limit requires a
a dynamic, networked environment and tools and
protocols that support software evolvability.  And
this is where I'd see the link between XML and XP.
Application protocols like SOAP or XML-Protocol or
whatever it turns out to be promise to create this
type of environment.

Btw, Martin Fowler categorizes XP as a "lightweight
methodology", a category that also includes open
source development:
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html

Audio and video presentations and interviews
by members of the XP community:

http://www.technetcast.com/tnc_catalog.html?item_id=746

Of course a substantial part of the XP movement is about
selling books.  --PL

---
Philippe Lourier
Dr. Dobb's TechNetCast