   Re: scalable DTDs.

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:54:08 +1100

Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:

> 1. I was under impression that expressive power of schemas is
> greater than expressive power of DTDs. If this is right - it think
> it *should* really matter.

We may be looking at this from different perspectives - for me, a scalable
DTD/schema is one that takes potential future requirements into account without
causing an excessive negative impact on the current project. This is really a
design consideration and might be made before the decision to use DTDs or schemas
is even settled.

> That's why I want to see actual DTDs. I'm wondering how convinient
> is this trick in the real-life. I think #define's juggling was not convinient
> for complex cases. That's why we don't need #defines in C++ .

We did it for a suite of 25 DTDs for the Australian Department of Defence CALS
initiative some years ago, but I can't find a link to it - I think their server is
down (possibly not a good thing...). Also, that was SGML. :-)

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au
       - Einstein