   Re: Ugly XML processing looking for a generic XML solution (long)

  • From: ricko <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:39:37 +0800

You might try the "rainbow maker" tool at
    ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/SGML/Rainbow/

This converts several WP formats (MIF, RTF, early WP) to SGML equivalents.

There are two problems.  First, it is 1995 vintage now. That won't be such a
problem for MIF, because its syntax was well-defined, so I expect is will
still produce useful results.
The second problem is that it produces SGML, so you will have to
post-process it to normalize it to XML: probably one of James Clark's
utilities (spam or spend, I forget) can do that fine.

That takes care of the first stage.  Then use XSLT for the second stage (or
whatever you want.)  You will probably find that you need to hand correct
the data at some stages to ive enough info for the 2nd pass converters.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe