   Re: Editors for poorl formed XML

  • From: Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:12:52 -0800

Steven Lewis <smlewis@lordjoe.com> writes:

> Does anyone know of tools to help a human transform poorly formed
> XML into well formed XML - perferably open source and Java based????

Dave Raggett's "HTML Tidy":

  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

Not just for HTML -- you can also use it to clean up XML. Read the
info at the site.

> There are a large number of open source editors for WELL FORMED XML.
> We have a project where, at least in version 1, human beings will be
> writing in XML and frequently will generate poorly formed XML .

I don't understand -- why will they be generating poorly formed XML?
What authoring application will they use?

You won't need Tidy or anything else if they author with a validating
editor, which will _prevent_ them from generating poorly formed or
invalid document instances. That's what validating editors are for.

You may get better feedback -- and general suggestions about working
with document authoring teams -- if you post your question to the
XML-Doc mailing list, which focuses specifically on authoring issues.
E-mail a blank message to xml-doc-subscribe@egroups.com or visit:

  http://www.egroups.com/group/xml-doc/

Among the 1000+ subscribers on the list, I'm certain you'll get a
reply from someone who has dealt with an authoring situation similar
to yours -- someone who can provide insight that could help you.