   RE: Ontologies

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com>, XML DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:10:34 -0600

I see your point, but there are issues where
the tests should be performed by a credentialed
organization.  One user of a node might not care
about the credentials of the node, another would.
It isn't usually a good idea to alpha test
in the field.  As stated in an earlier email
about the semantic web, "don't fly the first one."
The other issues of operational credentials have
to be dealt with differently than testing the
node by black box means.   Would you agree that
black box testing is a statistical test?

As Martin and Uche point out, the multilingual
issues are difficult.  These correlate loosely
to multi-cultural issues and these are even more
difficult.  On the other hand, I can't envision
ontological services without a control layer
being sensible.  The locus of control deserves
attention.

The contraint axioms deserve attention.  For
example, it isn't enough to establish a unit
of time served (for presidents or jailed
individuals) since events control unit values.
(a president can be impeached, die in office,
etc., a prisoner can attempt an escape and
get an extended sentence, and so forth).

The McGuiness article has some good insights
into other issues of quality such as carefully
eliminating cycles.   We can establish quality
credentials, it seems, although we cannot eliminate
the problem of the source of the opinion, that is,
the legitimacy of authority in ontological commitment.

We can test and observe.  I contend that
the services paradigm is better for the third
and fourth questions.

3.  By what tests (observable behaviors)
    do we measure commitment?
4.  By what means do we initiate or
    terminate such commitment?

Again, the lesson of the golem was the
problem of it asserting a role as master
instead of servant and the problem of
turning it off once it had done this
and caused harm to the community.
Ontological services will be required
to establish a contract for the services
and both users of services and service
providers assume a measure of culpability
for fair use.  The struggle to establish
controls is already underway.

http://news.excite.com/news/ap/001219/14/library-filters

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety