   RE: local, global (was various ontology, RDF, topic maps)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>,"Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:56:10 -0600

I am not an ontologist.  I can't even play one.
Carol Ellerbeck has the background and made the
following post to my queries about authority
awhile back.  I repost here for a sanity check.

She makes the same point about closed systems.
On the other hand, Simon and Walter make valid
points about the problems of lots of local
systems summing a decision based on locally
correct but globally conflicting assertions.
OTOH, isn't that why we have Topic Maps and
RDF, such that, like XML, at least the basic
framework is shared and you can try to chase
down the noisy sources?

Carol sez:  "I am afraid that authority is established through respect.  A
system is
defined for a certain group of users and guidelines for usage are
established.  Those using the system mutally agree to respect the guidelines
(or they create their own system).

And jargon DOES have to be incorporated into the system, no question.  But
how this gets done depends on the system you create (which should
distinguish between use of a "taxonomy" and use of a "thesaurus").

Finally, faceted classification schemes can be used to handle fuzziness and
inter-domain associations (the taxonomy dictates the facets but those facets
can be flexibly combined in many ways to create associations; you are not
locked into a rigid system - - in my mind, the only way to go on the web
......)."

By the way, TimBLs speech about the Semantic Web and the
slides are available from Dr Dobb's Technet.  I found the
slides easier to comprehend.  In accordance with Shannon's
clear observations, he also notes this is a machine bound
system, not a universal semantic.   Much of this thread
has been devoted to illuminating concerns about how to
establish trusted interoperation.

Then we can talk about the costs.  Traditionally, these
things are expensive beasties and that really does raise
the spectre of propriety just as a lot of DTDs developed
in industry were declared private IP despite the fact that
usually makes their utility almost zero.  I suspect we
will see a lot of volunteer work on ontologies and well
as private and public funding for such.  Our concern should
be to establish quality constraints and clarify a model
for fielding these that cleanly fits into the services
paradigm.  That can make costs recoverable and cleanly
answers questions about the means by which an ontological
commitment is established.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com