   Re: local, global (was various ontology, RDF, topic maps)

  • From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
  • To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>,Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>,"Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:47:31 +0000

Len Bullard wrote:

>I suspect we
> will see a lot of volunteer work on ontologies and well
> as private and public funding for such.  Our concern should
> be to establish quality constraints and clarify a model
> for fielding these that cleanly fits into the services
> paradigm.  That can make costs recoverable and cleanly
> answers questions about the means by which an ontological
> commitment is established.

As you will see from my report on the recent European Commission Workshop on
the Semantic Web (http://www.diffuse.org/S-Web.html) the European Commission
will shortly be issuing a call for proposals in this area. A lot of the
money is targetted for things like DAML and OIL, but anyone looking for
European participation in this area might like to track what the Information
Society Directorate General's D5 department is doing.

Martin