   RE: local, global (was various ontology, RDF, topic maps)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:25:48 -0600

Take a look at the dot.com fallout.  People
will believe and invest and will lose their
shirts and others will take their shirts and
build big pink houses on the hillsides outside
San Jose with them.  When HTML said SGML
was evil, some took that to heart.  When
others said HyTime was evil, some took that
to heart.  Both times, the sayers were wrong.
It took experience and a lot of hard work
for people to find the baby in the bathwater,
but they have and there are remarkably good
systems coming out as a result that have little
in common with the original HTMLOverAll systems.
They look like... SGML + hypermedia circa 1989
with better graphics.  So far so good.

That is what we are doing here with the semantic
web.  I started out with the "the semantic web
is a crock" position knowing full well that the underlying
tech and concepts do work in a limited fashion
because, being an old guy now, I was a young
turk when case grammars, AI, expert systems
and all that were discussed last time.  They
do work, in a limited fashion.  But I took
the very pessimistic approach precisely because
of the "idealistic" view you talk about.  The
WWW and the W3C hyped a lot of people's lifesaving's
into other pockets.  Now we are more cautious
about such visions, but we must also look at the
tech itself and ask what good we can do with it.
As others have mentioned, some of the search
engines are a LOT better these days.  When
I sit with my son to do a book report on the
Enola Gay and type that in, I don't see nearly
as many superstitious unwanted hits as we once
did.  That's progress.

What we are doing IS trying to understand how
local ontologies (all markets are buyer's markets
regardless of supply and demand) can interoperate.
There are some very hard social problems as well
as technical problems.  We aren't shying away from
those in this forum.  We may not solve them, but
we acknowledge them and try to advise others about
them.  An ontology is an opinion of sorts.  As such,
regard the source, but moreover, observe and test
the source, forgive, but don't forget.  The rest
is Tit for Tat.  To be sure, what the system
doesn't see, doesn't exist in that system.  We
have to be mindful of that.  ANY hypermedia
system can make information disappear by ignoring
an address, can make any concept appear to be
the work of another by frequency of attribution, can alter
the course of events by refusing to acknowledge a
submission.  All true and precisely why we
use these email lists so assiduously to proof
the visions of those with big podiums.  We
build that foundation of agreement by open
debate on the issues, begging those that have
other work to do to please ignore these posts
until they need the information for their work.

A universal semantic is a golem.  We not only
won't build it, we don't know how to build it.  The aleph
is not ours to mount and mud just doesn't cohere
in the rain of continuous hits on a server. :-)

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h