   RE: Success factors for the Web and Semantic Web

  • From: Miles Sabin <MSabin@interx.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:25:54 +0000

Paul Tchistopolskii wrote,
> The sad part is that I think Google is good not because it
> works together with <meta>. I think Google is good  because it
> *kills* the <meta>-based stuff. Google is utilizing many
> technologies ( see  [1] and [2] ). Unfortunately, I think all
> of those technologies are almost orthogonal to markup.

[snip: Goggle using (co)citation]

Why is this sad?

Citation and co-citation work because links are semantically
rich (ie. they reflect the intentions of human authors
surprisingly well *without* needing complex domain modelling) and
don't require much cleverness on the part of search engines.

That's surely a win ... unless you think that AI is The Only Way.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                               InterX
Internet Systems Architect                5/6 Glenthorne Mews