   Re: Success factors for the Web and Semantic Web

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:29:05 -0700 (MST)

> I moved 'easy and cheap' to number 2 from 4.  I'd have moved it to number 1
> except that 1 contributes to 2.  Use of TCP/IP and easy and cheap meant
> that wackos like me could build sites [1],[2] at low enough cost to make
> them about whatever the hell we felt like, encouraging readers to come
> looking for something new, presented in a familiar way, with an easy and
> cheap interface.  (Connections weren't cheap, of course.)

Thanks, Simon, for this reminder that the WWW's early success was with
personal Web pages.  Corporate brochure-ware and banner ad hell came
later.  Someone earlier (was it Len Bullard?) suggested creating a
semantic Web mock-up representing the profiles, projects, ideas, etc.
of XML-DEVvers.  I like the idea.  maybe I can even do some work to
get something started...

> I don't believe it meets a real unmet need today, but I suspect the
> technologies involved may meet a real unmet need in the relatively near
> future as information quantities continue to grow.

I really discount this test.  I'm not convinced the original Web met any
real, unmet need at its time.  NASA folklore has many examples (teflon,
WD-40, etc.) of serendipitous benefits from any well-organized research.