   Re: Dereferencing a namespace URI {WAS: Success factors for the Weband S

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: Michael Fitzgerald <mike@wyeast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:38:21 -0700 (MST)

> In Sean's defense, XML Schema does allow you to "attempt to resolve the
> namespace URI to locate such a [schema] resource." It is the last of five
> methods for dealing with a validating schema. [*]
>
> Eleven words in an official W3C document. A chink in the armor. A namespace
> URI, at least under XML Schema, is more than just an identifier!

Thanks for the reference.  But I don't think it addresses the issue.
Regardless of what some spec says should come back when you "access" a
URI, neither that spec nor those putting namespaces in their document have
any control of what actually _will_ come back in real life.

Again, what about URNs?  What about proxies?  What about DNS bandits?