   RE: local, global (was various ontology, RDF, topic maps)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com>, XML DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:29:23 -0600

Actually:

1.  Henry Ford was reinventing the production
assembly line techniques of Olds(?) although
he is often mistakenly credited as the inventor
(index of citation noise).  He improved them
and poured money into them and was said to
be crazy because of the size of the plants he
built to support it.  Turned out, crazy like a
fox.  But remember, he also was the one who
by dint of the success and investment, had a
tough time understanding the need to retool
and change the model.  GM handed him his head
for that failure.

2.  Sarnoff invested heavily in AM radio and
as a result of his manipulations, it took a
long time (about fifty years) for the superior
FM format to dominate the broadcast industry.
Many of you are perhaps too young to remember
that FM was the broadcast ghetto almost into
the 1980s in America.

"Worse is better" isn't how things work.
Simpler does better until knowledge in
light of implementation becomes understanding
and gets a sufficiently large community that
other alternatives become uneconomical
where an economy is not only money, but
whatever currency of exchange is recognized
at the interfaces.   HTML is giving way to
XML.  Despite Connolly's failure to "grok"
HyTime, HyTime techniques and concepts
have emerged and been put to serious use.
CSS is easier to learn but FOs are gaining
in currency.  None of these disappeared;
they awaited a community of users.

It's really an issue of how much how
many can understand at one time, IOW, a
thresholding model for a cascade.

Ontologies, although expensive to build,
are already used in knowledge base systems
(GE used these to make soup) and will become a document
type required for some kinds of deep
transactions.   They aren't that easy to
build and as we have discussed, for widespread
usage, a document type needs serious authoritative
credentials and even then, in degree.  An OED
is needed for some defintions, and Webster
works for the majority of users.

Them that needs 'em will build 'em.
Question is, will they share them?  Maybe but
first the means to share is required and that
brings us back to Topic Maps and RDF.  Steve
deRose as I recall noted that xlink databases
could be a business with a tidy profit margin.

I think the golem of universality is put
away easily by serious implementors.  We
just have to be sure the markets understand
that in terms they can communicate to avoid
past mistakes and losses due to overhyped
visions.

Another day at the byteMines really...

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard