   Re: Academia needed the Web (Re: Success factors for the WebandSemanticW

  • From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:24:30 +0000

>>>Dave Winer said:
> If that's what RDF is going to be used for I'd strongly recommend using the
> serialization format in XML-RPC or SOAP. They both work incredibly well, and
> are supported in lots of environments and are understandable, very simple
> stuff that allows data structures to be exchanged between apps on all
> platforms. Something to think about? Dave

Yes, I would support that idea and have already been considering it
for my RDF system Redland[1].  XML-RPC and SOAP are good additional
serialisation formats / protocols for RDF-databases on the web to
connect/be connected-to.

I think other RDF implementors will also be working on similar ideas,
maybe also see how it relates to Microsoft's ".NET" (if *that* makes
sense)  At that point we can connect RDF databases and other apps
via the web to see what systems we can actually build.   I strongly
support running code to test things, rather than towers of
unimplemented ideas.

RDF databases were mentioned in another thread.  Feel free to play
with mine[2]

Dave

[1] http://www.redland.opensource.ac.uk/
[2] http://www.redland.opensource.ac.uk/demo/