   Re: XML syntax for XPath?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:36:24 -0500

At 10:36 AM 12/26/00 -0800, Michael Smith wrote:
>You probably already know this, but Mike Kay says in his XSLT book
>that "in the very early drafts, the syntax for writing what are now
>XPath expressions was also expressed in XML" -- so it might be
>worthwhile to look at those "early drafts" if they're still available.

The more I learn, the more I forget...

>The single example (p. 33) he provides is an XML-syntax equivalent for
>the XPath expression 'select=/book/author/first-name':
>
><select>
>  <path>
>    <element type="book">
>    <element type="author">
>    <element type="first-name">
>  </path>
></select>
>
>...definitely a bit more verbose.

Yes, but it might be interesting to create an 'XPath parser' which reads in
XPath and spits out SAX events, making these critters a bit easier to
process and transform internally.  Then maybe an XPath writer which takes
those events and reports them as XPath again.

If only I didn't have a firm January 1 deadline...
Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML