   RE: simple question on namespaces.

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:42:17 -0500

To prevent unsuspecting individuals from getting confused, I would like to
state several facts:

1) all namespace names must be URI references by definition
2) all URLs are URIs by definition
3) all URIs are URI references by definition
3) a string of the form "http://foo.org" is both a URL and a URI
4) a string of the form "http://foo.org/bar.txt#baz" is a URI reference
5) a string of the form "www.whatever.com/foo.bar" is NOT a URI reference
and hence may not be a namespace name
6) The namespace recommendation attaches no specific meaning to the URI
reference which serves as a namespace name.

read http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#dt-NSDecl (Jan 14, 1999)
read http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2396.txt (August 1998)

I'm sure there were many lively debates regarding the syntax of the unique
string which forms a namespace name as the rec was being developed as there
have been afterwords but the argument is moot. The only interesting issue
which has arisen is due to the EBNF definition of a URI reference:

	URI-reference = [ absoluteURI | relativeURI ] [ "#" fragment ]

which allows usage of a relativeURI in a namespace name. After much
discussion, and now reflected in the most recent WD Infoset, relativeURIs in
namespace names are deprecated. Usage of relativeURIs as namespace names
while conformant to the namespace rec, results in such document having no
defined Infoset (i.e. it is not Infoset conformant). This leads to the
following strong recommendation:

7) Don't use relative URIs in namespace names.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org