   Re: XML syntax for XPath?

  • From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 04:17:30 +0800

From: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>

> A neat utility would be a parser-tool (comparible to yacc, for
> example) that would parse a syntax to produce XML output
> (SAX/DOM/Grove) for the resulting parse tree.

This is what SGML is good for. Probably you could specify the appropriate
SGML DTD (the grammar, the extra delimiters (short references), the context
in which  delimiter maps operate, which tags can be ommited).

One approach (which I have been working on a toy schema language called
CICADA which is based on this approach, but I am not happy with it yet) is
to allow perl regexes on data content, allow named groups in the regex, and
then exposed the parsed result so that the named groups are XML subelements.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe