   RE: simple question on namespaces.

  • From: "Hodder, Ed" <Ed.Hodder@Bowne.com>
  • To: 'Tim Bray' <tbray@textuality.com>,"XML-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:15:23 -0500

> I don't believe
> that dereferencing the URI can be a complete solution, but I don't
> think ignoring the fact that the URI can be dereferenced is very
> smart either.  -Tim

*Is being* dereferenced. I don't believe XBRL can function without finding
the relevant schemas. XMLSpy (3.5 beta) certainly wants to pull any schema
it can dereference when looking at the example document from XBRL.org
(http://www.xbrl.org/us/gaap/ci/2000-07-31/Sample/GreatPlainsInstance.xml)
and also is kind enough to ask me if I'd like to update from
http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema to http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema

This may be a useful example when thinking about Tim's question about 'what
some good ways
are to map from the namespace to the semantics'.

Ed