   Re: simple question on namespaces.

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:13:29 -0700 (MST)

> > [...]  My guess would be that
> > "urn:uuid:..." is the second most common URI variant after URL, and the
> > latest IETF draft has even given up the feeble approach of using hosts'
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > network addresses for UUID generation.  Now they recommend using random
> > numbers all the way.  Seems the very antithesis of "territory".
>
> Does anyone know where the the latest IETF draft is?
> I can't find anything about the uuid: scheme under the
> URN working group area or the "Individual Submissions"
> area, and a keyword search for "uuid" doesn't turn
> anything up.  Has the draft expired?

Yes, the draft has expired.  You can channel its ghost here

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/uuid-guid/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt

You might also want to see

http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-kindel-uuid-uri-00.html

Unfortunately, one has to scavenge the net for these things until they
mature to full RFCs (if they do?).