   RE: Semantic Web Hackings

  • From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
  • To: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>, Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>,xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 00:14:24 +0600

Since I thought I'd posted the stuff below (must have forgotten to click
'send') the discussion's moved on apace - and made me think along other
lines : ok, so you've got two entities without one single identifying
feature, how to tell them apart? I suspect this could easily be an
out-of-the-box facility, not even requiring "data smushing". Say you have a
message attributed to 'mailto:daniel.brickley@bristol.ac.uk '. You'd start
by using the best guess identifier (e.g. mailto:...), lets say this brings
up a handful of successive D.B.s at Bristol - then compare the other
properties in turn with the attribution you've got. If your identifier has a
property listed that matches the property of one or more of the candidates,
ok, go to the next. If a candidate has a property not found in the
attribution (or vice versa) ignore it. Any property *value* mismatch means
the candidate gets rejected. When only one candidate remains, you have your
danbri. Hopefully. This could of course be made more sophisticated, to
handle cases where a clear separation isn't found. Inferences could be made
from knowledge of the properties (we are talking about a semantic web) and
there's likely to be opportunities for fuzzy matching, though the basic
system above would be pretty trivial, and useful in a high proportion of
cases.