   Tool X (was Re: simple question on namespaces.)

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:30:48 -0700 (MST)

Arjun Ray quotes anonymous exchange from internal W3C list:

> : For example, if some company starts using a name space prefix but
> : doesn't define its vocabulary in some standardized way (so that any
> : conforming tool can interpret it and validate against it), how can
> : you ever know if you've handled all their names if you're tryin to
> : compete with them by providing support for their data elements? You
> : can't.

Ding ding ding ding!  Now for all those who didn't know what Paul meant by
"Tool X", this is but one of the possible culprits (and possibly the most
insidious).  There might also be my example of a tool that retrieves a
schema and makes processing assumptions differently from a tool that
doesn't molest the namespace URI.  There are other faces of tool X, and
all of them are problematic in pratice regardless of the "rightness" of
their behavior.