   RE: simple question on namespaces.

  • From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 00:27:19 +0600

Can't say it irritates me particularly as the target audience will be 99%
using http:// (that got highlighted, BTW) in a browser, they type in the
string and get the intended page - for this 99% the protocol is redundant.
Many people call 'telephones' 'phones', even though there are also
'headphones' and 'microphones' - do they need educating too?

What could be fun though would be if my browser would first try
http://www.ourwebsite.com and if that failed tried ftp://www.ourwebsite.com
and so on, bringing up the appropriate tool if a match was found...

www.ourwebsite.com
with no preceding 'http://'. In fact I'm even more irritated now that
Outlook Express has highlighted the www. as if it were a link...

It seems to me that only a small number of people in the world think that 4
and 5 are different. Perhaps more education is necessary... or maybe it's
already too late... the mainstream browser accepts 'URLs' of the format
shown in 5 :-(

Gudge