   Re: ?[xsd:schemaLocation equivalentTo src] was Re: Bring back src?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:25:35 -0500

At 04:52 PM 12/29/00 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>> Maybe we could finally break the cycle of namespace violence
>> by
>> re-examining the decision to drop the src pseudo-attribute, which appears
>> to have happened between the 18-May-1998 draft of Namespaces in XML
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xml-names-19980518) and the
>16-September-1998
>> draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xml-names-19980916).
>
>    Isn't [xsd:schemaLocation equivalentTo src]?

Perhaps in a limited way, working only for W3C XML Schemas.  DOCTYPE does
the same for DTDs.

I'd hoped that it's existence would ease the pressure on XML namespace
URIs, but recent statements from the XML Schemas WG about finding schema
information at namespace URIs suggests otherwise.

Still doesn't get us past one namespace URI for XHTML 1.0, with three DTDs
and more on the way in 1.x...

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML