   Re: Bring back src? (was Re: simple question on namespaces.)

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:46:49 -0800

At 01:10 PM 29/12/00 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Maybe we could finally break the cycle of namespace violence by
>re-examining the decision to drop the src pseudo-attribute, which appears
>to have happened between the 18-May-1998 draft of Namespaces in XML
>(http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xml-names-19980518) and the 16-September-1998
>draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xml-names-19980916).

It was dropped because the inevitable question arose: does src=
point at a DTD or some to-be-determined-in-the-future other
schema language? ... and the subsequent realization that even in
the traditional DTD territory, you often have more than one
associated with a single vocabulary.  Bringing it back won't
help with the problem.

I still think that dereferencing a namespace URI in an ideal
world should yield something containing lots of human-readable
explanatory text (ideally in a minimum of two widely-used
human languages), plus pointers to lots of different
machine-readable related resources, but I've been saying this
for 2 years now and don't seem to be winning the argument. -Tim