   Re: Bring back src? (was Re: simple question on namespaces.)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:00:54 -0500

At 03:46 PM 12/29/00 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>It was dropped because the inevitable question arose: does src=
>point at a DTD or some to-be-determined-in-the-future other
>schema language? ... and the subsequent realization that even in
>the traditional DTD territory, you often have more than one
>associated with a single vocabulary.  Bringing it back won't
>help with the problem.

It won't solve that particular problem, but it would let namespaces serve
to _identify_ without having to _explain_.  To me, that would be a
substantial move toward getting back to real work.

It doesn't solve everything, but it might settle the ever-swirling 'what do
namespaces mean' question, and wouldn't require waiting for DDDS, UDDI,
DISCO, or the solution-of-the-month to finally appear.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML