   Re: The Tool X horror scenario (was RE: Begging the Question (thenovel)

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>, Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 14:13:18 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Clark C. Evans <cce@clarkevans.com>

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com wrote:
> > So, the problem is NOT with the people who thoroughly understand namespaces
> > ... but with the people who think that namespaces look like URLs, and Tool X
> > treats them like URLs pointing to some sort of object, and then raise hell
> > with all the vendors whose tools do NOT treat namespaces like Tool X does.
>
> Is this (above) the essence of the problem?  Since the spec is
> silent on this issue, it allows those vendors with very large
> marketshare to create a de-facto interpretation of the specification
> which has in fact more weight than the spec itself?

Exactly. I've been saying that *this* and only this is my concern right from
the beginning of the thread. I'm very happy that Mike wrote it in a good English
and in his style.

I'm soo happy this hook is now sound !

Of course,  it is a huge time bomb and this "DNS for XML" is a key
component of  the semantics web, like current DNS is a key for the
Internet. For some reason the namespaces specs allows this key
component to be 100% proprietary but still 100% conformant to
the XML specs!

> Thank you Mike.

Yep. I sure like most of Mike's letters better than my own ;-)

Rgds.Paul.