   Re: What should a namespace URI point to?

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:17:04 +0000

> 1. a few basic chunks of XHTML
> 2. the simple XLink element (I don't think you need extended, and
>    by using simple you could graft the whole thing onto an XHTML
> 3. a namespace in which are defined a bunch of reserved
>    role attribute values

Blimey, this is a good idea...
But it would require fast and consistent work. Also, I think this is
something that should be taken up by a W3C WG, rather than a humble DEV
mailing list. FWIW, I believe that this is a good aproach, and would itself
rely on namespaces (quite bizarre), but I don't seriously think it will
ever come to fruition. I suppose you are aiming at something like:-

<head profile="http://somensprofile/">
<title>Namespace Schema for: MyLang</title>
<link rel="schema" ns:type="syntactic schema" xlink:href="schema.xsd" />
<link rel="schema" ns:type="presentational" xlink:href="present.xsl" />
</head>
<h1>MyLang</h1>
<address>
</address>
</head>

> I think this would be the ideal kind of thing to retrieve
> when you dereference a namespace URI.  Readable by humans
> and also machine-processable and fully extensible.
> If I were feeling particularly grandiose, I'd also describe
> such a thing as a key building block for the Semantic Web.

Absolutely.

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://infomesh.net/sbp/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ [ERT/GL/PF]
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.