Information on updates to XML standards

Hi All,

I have been following this group for a little while and even though I
thought that I knew XML I have to admit that I am lost. Back when I looked
at XML, life was pretty simple, you had .xml files containing data and .dtd
files containing their definitions (description), now there is a variety of
new additions like XSchema, XLink, XPath, etc... just to name a few.

Does anybody have a pointer to a web site, document, etc... that roughly
describes what each one of these new standards is for? why is it a standard?
and what problem was (has) it solved? I guess I am looking for a digest of
all of this.

Thanks, Marek.

PS. Technology, you have to keep up, otherwise it will simply overwhelm you.
This is a terrible industry in that respect.