Re: Compression

As regards compression - one option that *we* have looked at is that of the
schema being known at both the receiving and transmitting end of the
communication.  In that case a method can be used whereby the transmission of
the tags themselves are not required.  A single bit can be used to indicate the
presence or otherwise of an optional item, repeated items can also be indicated
by 0 or 1 depending on whether they are repeated or not.  Then it's just a case
of encoding the actual content between the tags.

The XML document can be rebuilt at the receiving end by stepping through the
schema checking the data for the content that is present.

Hope the above description makes some sense !

Regards

Caroline