RE: intertwined specs

As I sort my way through the XQuery draft, it has a
way of looking like an ASP page with all of the
<% %> delimiters removed.  Ok.  I can
see the utility of it (alternative to the SQL variants
popping up from every vendor), and the overlap
with XSLT (transforms in the query).  So far so good.
I can see the sense of this.  The stored procedure
guys should love it.

MSL:  well, ok as long as these are formal
proofs among interested parties as to the
correctness of parts, no problem.  If this
enters the production systems, it is not
something most will welcome outside the
deepgeeks with the faster propellors. So,
it will be an academic exercise similar to
the early DSSSL with Scheme/LISP.  Good
to have for formal work; not something
the production folks will want to work with
unless it is made *very* friendly by tools.
Even then...

Keep in mind what someone made very clear
very passionately in Vancouver when this
SGML On The Web thing was a'bornin' and
people had to agree to walk away from the
advanced state of extant solid work:

"It has to be simple."  Jean Paoli- Microsoft

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h