RE: intertwined specs

ASP is ugly when one first looks at it, not because it
doesn't work, but because the combinations of all of the
syntaxes plus quote counting and the awkwardness of
syntax-sensitive editors *fixing things* are maddening.
I consider it a bridge technology useful as other
technologies coalesce. XQuery is a result of that
coalescence.

The formal model is good for those who have to ensure that all of
the specs in total remain coherent.  Perhaps the DEPH is being
left behind and that is a shift of target audience for XML. Being
a tool user, not a tool builder, I am not concerned but I can
understand that individuals who thrive on tool building might
be until they master the formal model.  Then I suspect, like
some loathe BNF until they master it, it becomes the description
of choice.

SGML works without LL(1) because the implementors hide that
from the end user.   SGML is nicely flexible past that task.
As long as the specs keep the pain of the implementor from
the user, I'm not too concerned.  I concur with Marcus that
we should not force them to master our solutions.  One
odd and not really good side effect of HTML was to convince
a large group of people that they were programming.  There
really are levels to this that most here, I'm sure, understand.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h