RE: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?

At 09:41 AM 2/22/2001 -0800, Brian Miller wrote:
>Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com wrote:
> >
> > "An entirely new syntax" seems to be a bit of an
> > exaggeration.  In fact, XPath 2.0 will become that
> > common semantic and syntactic core for both
> > languages [XSLT and XQuery].
>
>How awkward that XPath (the "common semantic and
>syntactic core" of our pending XML revolution) is
>itself not expressed as XML.

         That's an unfair comment. Do you know of a regular expression
language that is clear and obviously representable? Rendering XPath in XML
syntax would merely make it more verbose, not more comprehensible. If you
disagree, Brian, I'd love to see your alternate, simpler suggestion for a
syntax.

--->Ben