Re: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?

> Please resist.  Having an XML syntax has made XSLT very ugly
> and cumbersome to use.

Maybe, but on the other hand an XML syntax gives us the possibility
to create and process queries with 'common' XML tools. And it don't
have to be ugly and cumbersome. E.g. http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate
specifies and update language for XML documents and the syntax is
quite clear and easy to use.

IMHO, the current XQuery spec. tries to much: it wants to select
_and_ transform, although selection would be enough. If I like to
transform the query results I use XSLT. This way XSLT and XQuery
would have a clear scope: One for transformation and the other for
selection.

> Now... an XML "compiled" version of the XQuery + an XML "compiled"
> version for XPath expressions would be welcome -- a horse of
> a completely different color.  But please, please have it 100%
> XML or 100% custom syntax, not a hybrid.

I completely agree with this.

Best Regards,
Gerd

Gerd Mueller                                    gerd@smb-tec.com