re: Why 90 percent of XML standards will fail

Tim Bray writes:

 > Supposed to be on ZDNet somewhere, but I saw it on Yahoo.  The guy's
 > right, of course, but remember Theodore Sturgeon's Law of Popular Art
 > Forms, which extends nicely to XML (or any other) standards; it says:
 >
 >  "95% of everything is crap".
 >
 > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010226/tc/why_90_percent_of_xml_standards_will_fail_1.html

If 10% (or even Sturgeon's 5%) of XML-based initiatives actually
succeeded in any significant way, then XML would be an astounding
success story.  Tech initiatives tend to fail -- it's their nature --
and the more lofty or all-embracing the goals, the more likely the
failure.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/