Re: PSVI

"HUGHES,MARK (Non-HP-FtCollins,ex1)" wrote:

> You can gain additional, secondary,
> information by processing a schema for an XML document, but the document
> contains perfectly usable and complete information if all you want are
> nested
> elements (often without attributes), and text nodes, and you can trust your
> software to produce valid documents (this is what software testing is
> for...)

Well, I'd like to present the opposite case, just to keep the
discussions spicy :)

In X3D, almost every attribute has a default value. We need a lot of
this default information. Depending on which profile is selected, the
defaults change or we have new sets of attributes (err... yuck!). We
really need the DTD or schema to be processed along with our document to
build all of the correct element information for rendering. We can't
just rely on having the software produce correct values for us.  Even
with a non-validating parser, we need this information from somewhere.
Having the user-land code assume that it knows the default values
doesn't really make life particularly easy for us for consistent
behaviours. So we're a case of must have DTD and/or Schema even when we
don't need them as per spec.

--
Justin Couch                                    Author, Java Hacker
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/               Java 3D FAQ Maintainer